Sunday 20 April 2014

Tales Of A Bad-Ass ...

"I Believe We All Have A Certain Rebel In Us. A Bad-Ass Who Wants To Break Free."

-Mahaakshay Chakraborty.



If you search ‘Bad-Ass’ in an online dictionary, you will find the description as “Distinctively Tough Or Powerful: So Exceptional As To Be Intimidating.” If you ask me, that is a very cool meaning and even cooler for the men who have been honoured by that Title and Recognition. If you ask me how I thought about writing a Blog upon Bad-Asses, well it was because I got inspired from this song I have on my iPod. I don’t know what is the title of the song but it was used as an Entrance Theme for a Ufc Fighter in one of the Pay-Per-Views I saw a while back. If you hear the song, even you will feel like a Bad-Ass cause the lyrics are very inspiring. Basically, the song is all about telling your enemy or opponent that you are no match for me and this place is my yard. This is where I rule, not you. And you are a just a novice and an amateur. And there is a hard-core line in the song which goes as, “You Don’t Pee With The Puppies And Crap At The Big Dogs Yard.” So after hearing that amazing song I guess the Bad-Ass in me also got awakened and I thought that this blog should be my tribute to all those Bad-Ass Men I look up to and also to the Bad-Ass term itself. 

"Man is the unnatural animal, the rebel child of nature, and more and more does he turn himself against the harsh and fitful hand that reared him."

Whether it was the Greeks, the Romans or the Spartans, all men in history have shown a certain trait of a Bad-Ass in them. Those brave warriors who fought those mighty battles for their kings, to the Actors who we all looked up to during the 90’s Action Era of Hollywood and Bollywood, all have represented ‘The Man Who Rebels And Kicks ass And Beats The Bad Guys.’ For me, even the fighters in the Ufc are Bad-Asses. Whether it is Big Roy Nelson with his Pony Tail or Cain Velasquez as the Heavy Weight Champion of the world, they all glow with a tint of that little extra. Of that certain, “I don’t care what you think of me, I am who I am look.” All these men have defied the odds and also the norms of society to be who they are. And that is why we look up to them. That is why we worship them. And that is why we wanna be them. I have countless memories in my head playing over and over again to prove that we all get excited when we see a Bad-Ass do his thing. Do you remember the Raw episode which broke Nitro’s ratings? When the greatest Bad-Ass in Wwe , Stone Cold Steve Austin came and helped Mankind to become the Wwe Champion? Do you remember how the crowd went berserk and couldn’t stop cheering and screaming out of excitement for 3 full minutes? I know how that felt. I have seen that clip over a hundred times and each times it gives me goosebumps. Each time I see Arnold Schwarzenegger firing that mini-gun towards the alien in Predator I feel that excitement. Each time I see Liam Neeson kill every single man in Taken I feel that way. you see, what I am trying to say is, we all relate to these Men Of Steel ‘cause we all see ourselves as them. 

"I feel like in my music I can be a rebel. I can say things I wouldn't say in real life."

If you ask me if I have ever imagined myself to be a Bad-Ass, well the answer would be a Hell Yes I have! I mean, how cool would it be to actually be a Real-Life Version of all the heroes and fighters you have grown up watching! It would certainly be a dream come true for me. To be honest, I have even imagined the clothes I would be wearing when I finally take the Role of the Ultimate Bad-Ass. I would be wearing my Diesel Jeans, Big Boots from Timberland, My Favourite Punisher Muscle Tee, the Leather Jacket which The Rock wore in Faster and my Ray-Ban Aviators to make my appearance more cooler. I would be riding a Harley, Triumph or a Ford Mustang and I would sail off towards the sun set to wherever life takes me. And to be honest, I have seen that image become a reality in my head many a times. For me, being a Bad-Ass is more spiritual than putting guys through walls. It is about an act of defiance. It is about being a rebel and showing Fate and Destiny that I am my own maker and no matter what life throws at me, I will throw it right back at it. Of course, like everything else in life, being a bad-ass has it pros and it’s cons. The pros are that you never have to answer to anyone. You make your own rules and you follow your own path. You defy fate and destiny at ever given turn and care two-hoots about what people think of you. The cons is that you eventually become alone and all ties that you had so dearly clinched on to break away and never get attached again. You become a drifter and a wanderer. Your best friend is only the shadow the sun casts on you. And your only companion is the car that you are riding or the book that you are reading. But if you ask me if I would ever give up the opportunity to become a Bad-Ass, I would say, “Never In A Million Years!”

"Other people will call me a rebel, but I just feel like I'm living my life and doing what I want to do. Sometimes people call that rebellion, especially when you're a woman."

I guess all Bad-Asses are Lone Wolves in their own way. Maybe they have accepted their own mortality and also embraced it. Or maybe they are hardened by the hurt they have gone through. Or maybe they have isolated themselves from the flow of emotions so much, that they just don’t care anymore. To be honest, I don’t know. Well, not yet.  Maybe one day I might. But I guess we all want to travel that road less travelled. We all wanna feel what real freedom feels like and be our own bosses. Maybe we all want to be rebels and take cross-country road trips. Maybe we all want to escape and never come back. That is why the term ‘Bad-Ass’ will never go extinct. Even our great grand children will know what it means and so will their children after them, ‘cause as long as society has it’s rules to keep us in check and take away our right to be ourselves, the Bad-ass in us will always want to break free. I don’t know what life has in stored for me. But I do know one thing, that life has brought me this far and every step that I have taken has been for the best of my interests. Whether it was me starting to write blogs, or seeing success and failure time and again or by getting let down by the people I have loved and cared for, every moment in life has defined me as the man I am today. And if I have to sum up my own definition, I would say I am a Boy in the Process of becoming a Man, with a touch of Bad-Ass in the mix. Yes, I wanna be free. I wanna roam the world and experience the sheer joy travelling brings. I wanna be the king of my own kingdom where I only rule myself. I want to Kick-Ass like Slyvester Stallone, Steven Seagal, Van Damme and Chuck Norris. I wanna go on stage and sing Kid Rock Songs. I want to drive heavy duty motor cycles and wear a bandana on my head like The undertaker during American Bad-Ass Phase. And I want to wear a T-Shirt which says, ‘Certified Bad-Ass!’. 

"Master of the universe but not of myself, I am the only rebel against my absolute power."

I don’t know whether the above lines meant anything to you or not or whether you could relate to it or even take it as a reference for a defining chapter in your life. Truth be told, there were two reasons why I wrote this blog. One was because I got inspired by that Ufc Walkout song and the other one was that I wanted the writer in me to try a new approach to my blogs. Since my online Creating Writing 101 course through Gotham Writers begins on the 22nd, I got inspired to use the tips they have given us to express ourselves more better. Hope it worked and I hope I do well in the 6-weeks course that awaits me. Either way, I know I have given my best attempt in trying to explain to you my outlook on the word ‘Bad-Ass and the people who have impacted the Bad-Ass in me. I am going to turn 30 in the next three months and I know that the best and most adventurous days of my life still await me. The best chapters of my life are still to begin and I know that where the civil rules of society will stop me from going, the Bad-Ass in me will always find a way. So I am gearing up my friends. I am gearing up to see the world, to be a rebel and for that beautiful sun set that awaits me. I am gearing to be the best version of a Bad-Ass that I can ever be.

"Sure, I always chose rebels to identify with - I still do - but to me a rebel isn't so much someone who breaks the law as someone who goes against the odds."

This Is Me, Mahaakshay Chakraborty and these are The Tales Of A Bad-Ass.

With All My Might,

Your No.1 Fan,

Mahaakshay Chakraborty.




***********************************************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. Now this is you, the real Bad-Ass. We would love to see you in the Avatar diacribed by you in here. I can't ask you for a demo photograph of the Avatar coz I know it must be very special moment in your life the dream which you are cherishing now till the time comes. So we will wait for that climax of your Bas-Ass role and let you rock us in that Avatar. AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete